Homecoming court expands, Garcia crowned Queen

They locked arms and held their breaths as the anticipation grew as they waited for the huge announcement of the night.

The participants of the homecoming court waited for the first half of the homecoming game on October 12 for the announcement of queen and king.

“It was really intense, but I had my dad there for support,” Shalyn Cotton said. “I think every girl on homecoming court were just so ready for that announcement.”

Nadia Garcia, Kassidy Bell, Chelsea Harter, Lilah Adams, and Shalyn Cotton were the nominees for homecoming queen; Nadia Garcia was announced as homecoming queen.

“I was overwhelmed with joy and happiness when I heard my name for queen,” Garcia said. “I was so blessed to have the support and love from others.”

A new edition of homecoming court for king was added this year, which included Ryan Rath, David Alcantar, James Rodell, Blayne Stauffer, and Benito Rivas; James Rodell was announced as homecoming king.

“I was honored, to be able to represent my class,” Rodell said. “It was a huge achievement to earn for my senior year.”

This year was the district’s first year to also include a duke and duchess for each grade; Bocho Villagomez and Iris Valles were freshman duke and duchess, Landon Folsom and Samantha Pate were sophomore duke and duchess, and Colton Green and Andrea Garcia were junior duke and duchess.

“I really liked how this year we had an addition of duke and duchess,” Andrea Garcia said. “I was so happy to win dutchess; hopefully they keep this and make it a tradition to applaud students in every grade.”