Slip sliding away

Centerville track meet canceled due to rain
When+it+became+obvious+that+the+storm+was+not+stopping%2C+Buffalo+headed+home+with+its+athletes.+
When it became obvious that the storm was not stopping, Buffalo headed home with its athletes.

Last week’s track meet wasn’t dripping with details, at least not as much as the competitors were dripping with … rain. The meet was delayed twice before eventually being canceled due to the severe rain and continued lightning. Most of the athletes did more running to get back on their buses than they did in contests as the weather continued to make continuing the meet impossible. 

Athletes who were able to compete did the best they could for the wet conditions before lightning strikes moved them off the field. 

“I pushed through the cold and rain and got third,” junior Maylene Caceres, who competed in shot put, said.

Some were thrilled about being able to leave and were glad to not spend another minute out in the cold.

“I was relieved that I didn’t have to run during the track meet,” senior Emma Cocking said. “I was worried that I was going to trip over a hurdle due to the weather conditions.”

Many were disappointed with the weather’s turnout.

“Unfortunately, given current circumstances, Maylene and Jesse didn’t get to compete much,” coach Daryl Skelton said. “They still gave it their all.”  

Coaches were proud of their athletes and fellow staff for their efforts on the field and track to prepare for the meet.

“Even though we left early, I was impressed with the work the throwers have put in,” coach Howard Savell said. “Coach Skelton and Coach Talley have done a phenomenal job of pushing them and getting them more prepared as the district gets here.”