GEMS group invites scientific exploration

The third graders blew into the balloon as they hoped for their bus to travel farther than the other groups’. They counted and let go of the balloon as their group bus went across the room. The young girls smiled, proud of how far their bus had traveled.

The GEMS girls (or Genetic engineering math and science girls) are divided into groups of a different gem name, participating in different group projects and activities; the third graders, or emerald group, specifically had a group project to make a cardboard bus to which a balloon was blown into in order to make the bus move.

“It was so cute seeing the young girls work together in decorating and performing on their bus,” GEMS leader Taylor Lack said. “The third graders were so happy to see the positive outcome of the distance their bus traveled.”

Another group, the fourth graders,  known as the sapphires, were instructed in a group project to create a boat made out of pencils and tape in order to see which boat was able to float better.

“It really tested the girls’ ability to be creative and efficient in building a boat,” GEMS leader Tana Cleveland said. “It was so fun seeing the girls well concentrated in making their boats float.”

The fifth grade group or ruby group, were assigned to build a birdhouse made out of different items and decor.

“They had multiple items such as popsicle sticks, straws, and buttons to choose from,” GEMS leader Kaiden Loep said. “Each birdhouse was uniquely and differently decorated.”

The GEMS leaders include nearly 40 leaders, with each group of girls assigned to certain leaders: either third graders (emeralds), fourth graders (sapphires), or fifth graders (rubies); the leaders are also assigned to certain areas to hospitality, planning or fundraising groups to better the GEMS program.

“It is a very fun program where the girls can engage in great activities and projects in the two meet ups that we have monthly,” GEMS  teacher Patrice Cox said. “I am hopeful that these girls will carry science and math to a possible career.”