Annual Stampede adds new activities

Fire fighter sirens blasting, cheerleaders cheering, the band playing: these are just some of the noises the community looks forward to hearing every year at the Buffalo Stampede.

This year was the 39th annual Buffalo Stampede and parade, where different organizations rode different decorated means of transportation down the streets to throw candy to the kids and adults of the community. Following the parade, different activities and booths were displayed in Harriman Park.

“My niece and nephew really enjoyed the parade this year,” sophomore Samantha Pate said. “They loved the candy that was being thrown as well as the activities in Harriman Park.”

Some of the organizations that were a part of the Stampede included the cheerleaders, band,  and 4-H. These organizations cheered the crowd up as well as threw candy to kids and adults.

Each of us cheerleaders brought bags of candy to throw to the kids, they really enjoyed us doing that,” cheerleader Makayla Gilliam said. “The kids also loved that the school band played and marched down the streets.”

Among all the fire trucks, four-wheelers, and other decorated vehicles and floats, the cheerleader’s float won the grand prize for best float.

“Mrs. Mandy decorated the trailer so good; it had purple and gold decorations all over,” cheerleader Taylor Breshears said. “Because of her, we were very thankful to win best float.”

After the parade, followed a celebration at Harriman Park where booths were displayed; one included Kona Ice, which gave free shaved ice to everyone, which was a donation from Citizens State Bank.

“It was very sweet that they served their delicious shaved ice for free,” band member Izabella Salazar said. “Mrs. Shelton and Mrs. Reeder who run the Kona Ice business really put smiles on many kids’ faces.”

Some activities in Harriman park included a bull riding machine, jumping houses, as well as games that were ran by firefighter volunteers.

“This year we set a game where kids were able to use one of our fire hose,” firefighter volunteer David Alcantar said. “This as well as the bull riding machine, and all other activities really made this year’s Stampede one to remember.”