Debate it out

Congress team competes at Regionals today
Genevieve+Arabie%2C+Kaylen+Sanchez%2C+Nicollette+Arabie+and+Alyncia+Jackson+get+ready+to+head+in+to+start+competing+in+UIL+Regional+Congress.+
menefee
Genevieve Arabie, Kaylen Sanchez, Nicollette Arabie and Alyncia Jackson get ready to head in to start competing in UIL Regional Congress.

The debate team is competing at Regional Congress today in Bryan. They face all of the 3A schools in Educational Region Center 6, with the top three fnishers qualifying for state.  

The students have been practcing and researching for Congress since August and have been working with the specific legslation they are competing with since early October. Tuesdays and Thursdays after school are debate prep days, and students work then as well as during class. 

“Things get so busy during class time, since that is also when we work on newspaper and podcast and broadcast that we really need the after-school hours to work,” coach Melonie Menefee said. “It’s tough to find time in the fall with all the afternoon practices, but that will slow down a little now.” 

Nicollette Arabie has already qualifed in Congress for another state tournament through the Texas Forensic Associatiion and is working on qualification for the national Tournament of Champions in Kentucky in the spring. In February she will also compete for a chance at Nationals for NSDA. 

“Congress has defnitely become one of Nic’s most competitive areas,” Menefee said. “We have some very fresh and very tough goals to try to reach this year before she graduates in May.” 

Also competing Tuesday will be Genevieve Arabie, Kaylen Sanchez and Alyncia Jackson. Alternates are Triston Cole and Mason Ayles. All six will compete in February for a chance to go to Nationals.  

Nicollette sad she is very excited to be a part of the Regional Congress contest. 

“We’ve been getting ready by writing two to three speeches since we received legislation,” she said. “This is the most exciting regional tournament for me, while also being the saddest, because it’s my last time ever competing in congress at a regional level.”