Band plays for tree lighting ceremony

Band members shivered in their coats, braced against the cold wind, fingers stiff as they played their instruments. As the sun dropped below the horizon, the temperature dropped as well, but it was worth it to see the smiles on the faces of the children watching as the tree lights began to glow.

The band played at this years’ community Christmas tree lighting ceremony at Citizens State bank, helping the bank staff to celebrate the holiday season.

“When we were first told we were going to play Christmas songs at the community Christmas tree lighting, we were all super excited,” senior Jose Sanchez said. “We were prepared to play around six songs.”

They played songs including Jingle Bell Rock, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, Deck the Halls, and We Wish You a Merry Christmas.

“I think my favorite Christmas song that we played for the community was We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” junior Ernesto Dominguez said. “It is a classic.”

The Christmas tree was finally lit up while the band played their last song, A Holly Jolly Christmas. Band members then enjoyed cookies, hot chocolate and cider with the rest of the crowd.

“I’m really glad we were able to help support the tree lighting because the bank is so supportive of the school,” junior Colby Menefee said. “It was honestly a great experience to not only be a part of but to witness.”