FFA kicks off year with Battle of the Gavel

The students huddled against the wall, cringing as colored water balloons flew at them. They ducked and dodged, trying their best to stay dry from the onslaught.

The Battle of the Gavel is a series of competitions hosted by the FFA officers. The goal of the game is to come out with the cleanest shirt after going through a series of small games.

“As my first time hosting the battle of gavel, it was a bit nerve wracking but also exciting,” sophomore Asa Henson said. “I enjoy being with all FFA members and bonding as team before the real work began.”

To win, contestants had to avoid losing the games which include egg toss, water balloon volleyball, egg roulette, finger jousting and a sack race.

“It was great to compete in the games,” freshman Omar Almeida said. “My favorite part was trying not to slip in finger jousting.”

If a contestant lost a game they had to line up and face the wall while the winners of the game threw water balloons at their backs.

“I wasn’t upset when I didn’t win because I was having fun,”sophomore Skylar Randle said. “I really enjoyed myself and being around everyone.”

Freshman Riley Ayres was the ultimate winner.

“It felt amazing to win,” Ayres said. “It was an experience that I won’t forget.”

This year’s competition highlights include Caylee Ayres slamming Taylor Cotton to the ground in finger jousting,  Edgar Aguilar slipping on the soapy and wet tart, and Jake Hennigan slipping in front of his friends while soaping the tart.

“I had blast with my friends and meeting new people that wanted to join FFA,” sophomore Sydney Lebel said. “I’m looking forward to playing again and hopefully winning.”