Golfers advance to regionals

Golfers advance to regionals

Earlier this month the Boys and Girls Golf teams competed in two rounds of district – one at Pine Dunes in Frankston and the other at Hilltop Lakes in Normangee. The boys team as well as Noel Rubel in the girls division scored well enough to advance to regionals.

“I was very excited about district,” sophomore Noah Rubel said. “Golf is one of my passions, and I am elated that we have gotten as far as we have.”

Golf coach Robert Rubel was confident that his teams would make it out of district.

“I knew we had a good team, but really needed the players to perform when it counted, which was the district tournament,” Rubel said. “We had played against other district opponents in previous tournaments and done well, but needed to do it during the district rounds.”

Rubel believes that the boys can make it to state if they play as well as they have been playing this season.

“I’m very proud of the hard work they put in over the year.  While we had a chance for the boys to be district champions, our goal was Brenham, and we made it,” Rubel said. “The boys look forward to having a chance at regional to qualify for state, if they play to their capability.”

The boys took second place team while several players also placed individually.

“ he boys played well, with Justin Foley finishing third overall, Noah Rubel fourth overall, and Shelley Pate fifth,” Rubel said. “As a team, the boys finished second, just 6 strokes back of first place Frankston.”

Although the girls did not have enough players to make a team, Rubel they played well overall.

“On the girls side, though we didn’t have enough to field a full team, they played well, and competed,” Rubel said. “Throughout the season several girls met their personal best scores.”

Senior Noel Rubel took the title of district champion for the second time in a row.

“Noel Rubel finished as the District Champion for the second straight year, winning by 14 strokes, and will go to regional again,” Rubel said. “ Noel is once again excited about regional, and an opportunity to go back to State in Austin.  She fired her lowest 9 hole total of the year, shooting 40 on the front 9 of Hilltop, which is very good.”