Chili cook-off brings in funds for family

Teams at the chili cook-off were serving their dishes in hopes of winning the title of Chili Champion, all for a good cause. The FFA held a chili cook-off last Friday in hope of raising money for the Campos family.

On top of the chili tickets, the group sold tickets for a raffle for a grill, which will be raffled off during the homecoming game this Friday. The highlight of the night was the chili, though.

“I was actually very nervous for the chili cook-off,” senior Gracie Davis said. “I heard a lot of really good chili was going to be made. I used a mix of my dad’s chili recipe and my mom’s to make a version of my own. It seemed to be very popular.”

The judges were superintendent Lacy Freeman and junior high principals Greg Kennedy and Susan Shelton. The winners were Big Daddy’s Beef Chili for judges’ choice, The game club’s entry for people’s choice, and Afterburn for most spirited. 

“I had a great time competing in the cook-off,” freshman Colby Menefee said. “We had so much spirit and were very excited to taste the competitions’ chili.”

The FFA supplied hot dogs, corn dogs and condiments to go along with the chili, and most tables had extra treats like rice or crackers, as well.

“I was really hungry when we arrived to the chili cook-off, and I was excited to try all of them,” senior Lauren Pate said. “After I had tasted everyone’s chili I decided that the NHS entry was the best. I voted for them to win.”

Although there was a competition, the overall purpose for the cook-off was to raise money to help the Campos family.

“We wanted to do this to help as much as we could to help them get back on their feet,” FFA adviser Mikaela Hall said. “That was the only goal the entire time, and I think we exceeded our goal. I am so happy we were able to do this and help them in their time of need.”