Sharing is caring

NHS holds blood drive

The National Honor Society hosted its annual fall blood drive last week, with more than 70 students donating; there were so many donations that Carter Blood Care ran out of supplies. Senior Julio Gonzalez donated blood for the first time. He said donating blood teaches you the value of life.   

Senor Nicollette Arabie has a snack after she finishes her donation. Nic is one of several students who were lightheaded afterward and needed a little extra recovery time. (Alyncia Jackson)

“For those donating, you get to potentially save another person’s life,” Gonzalez said. “Those receiving it get to keep living and don’t have to worry about future sickness or illness.”

NHS students volunteered for the day, helping out the students who donated blood. They gave out snacks and drinks and also walked some students to their classes if they needed assistance. They had a box full of ice packs for those who felt lightheaded, collapsed or fainted. NHS coordinator Lauren Rodriguez said the event shows students the importance of giving back to the community. 

Working for the blood drive and donating teaches the importance of blood donations to the community,” she said. “It’s great when students and staff want to save lives.” 

Staff and community members also donated. Chemistry teacher Kristine Lenamond said she usually donates blood each year but had to stop for a while. This year she donated blood and said she isn’t scared of the needle anymore and has gotten used to the progress. 

“I am glad I was able to donate blood this year,” Lenamond said. “It is a way for me to give back to the community.”