No bones about it

Art students create sugar skulls
Yuliet Gonzalez
Mikah Kesinger works on her sugar skull painting during art class. The student artwork is currently on display in the 500 hall.

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, Amanda Harter’s Art 2-4 class recreated a famous painting into a sugar skull. The assignment required students to look at the gestures and directions of the subjects in famous paintings and draw in a bone structure that is not typically seen. 

“It’s very challenging but I think it is a good way to expand our knowledge so we can learn new things by doing something fun with it, like painting,” sophomore Mikah Kesinger said. “I am excited to finish this project and see what the rest of my classmates  painted.” 

Harter says sugar skulls are a great way to focus on Latin cultural art and artists like Jose Posada, Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo while also covering the basics of drawing like the skeleton. She enjoys doing something different each year and likes for the students to do a project on each culture. In the month of November, they will focus on doing projects about the indigenous people.  

“I work hard to make sure that students have the chance to view and try art styles from various cultures each year,” Harter said. “I love Adrian Esperitu’s painting, you could tell she put so much time and dedication into it. She did a great job, and I can’t wait to see what other students turn in as well.” 

Senior Adriana Espiritu signed up to do the ‘Dancing in the Country’ by Pierre-Auguste Renoir. The painting represents a woman’s smile, and Adriana said she painted the men’s suit and the girl’s dress first because it was the easiest thing to do. She is also looking forward to the next project they will be doing for the indigenous cultures. 

“I really liked doing this project because I could just really push myself to try and make my painting better than any other I have made,” Espiritu said. “I am really excited for the next project Mrs.Harter has been planning for us to do.”