Debate team preps for regional congress

The debate team is preparing for Regional Congress competition next month by holding a Mock Congress session every week in class on Thursday and Friday. Students give speeches and question one another using the same legislation they will compete with.

“The class is working hard to make it as far as possible,” freshman Naidi Dominguez said. “I am trying my best to make it on the Congress team.”

The regional competition is in November with only five students as part of the team. Another Congress competition in February will have more spots for students to compete.

They began with a rubric to help them with their first few speeches. They were also allowed to read off their papers. Starting next week, however, the students will be limited to one index card.

The students have been giving terrific speeches, but they are reading rather than just speaking,” coach Melonie Menefee said. “I have to get them used to speaking rather than reading; it makes them nervous, but it also makes them much better speakers in the end.”

Topics so far have included requiring vaccinations and eliminating religious schools; this week, the topic will be police brutality.

Buffalo wrote several of the pieces of legislation that will be used in the contest,” Menefee said. “We have to be prepared for all 15 pieces of legislation, though, even what was written by other schools. It’s a lot of work and a lot of research.”

The class will continue to give speeches until after contest in November and then will practice again in early February before the second contest. Three students in the 3A division in November will advance to state competition.

“We’ve made it to state every year we have competed so far,” Menefee said. “Hopefully this year will be no different.