Spotlight: Corey Hickerson

He walks around the halls on Fridays between classes, hauling a speaker that plays loud music in order to show students that school can be fun and to get students and teachers spirited before the weekend starts. He encourages the students to dance as they make their way from class to class. Those who join in the fun receive a high-five for their spirit.

School life has been full of changes this year, with a new principal, assistant principal, and numerous new coaches and teachers, but principal Corey Hickerson is doing what he can to make sure that changes are positive.

“I recently was the principal at Rice High School but I am glad to be a part of Buffalo High School now because I want to be a part of a place that is supported by the community,” Hickerson said. “I am excited to show the students, teachers, and community new changes for the school.”

Hickerson encourages the students and teacher to show pride, spirit, and honor. He has always motivated students and teachers to show essence in school.

“I have always been very spirited and always want to bring that energy and excitement to create a better school atmosphere,” Hickerson said. “I looked at what the culture is at the school and decided to go with ‘spirit, pride, and honor’ because those words embody how the students and teachers here are.”

Another new addition to school this year are Bison Shoutouts, which are given by teachers and staff to recognize students who do something positive for the school.

“I received the first Bison shoutout this year for picking up trash in the hall,” senior Josalyn Taylor said. “I really enjoy this new way in honoring students who do good deeds for the school.”

Before getting into administration, Hickerson coached at different schools.

“I used to coach football, basketball, and baseball before I got into administration,” Hickerson said. “I liked a lot of aspects about coaching, but I probably won’t ever coach again because I enjoy being in administration.”

By being an administrator he is able to have some free time on the weekends.

“I really enjoy administration because I have time to do stuff with my family that I used to not have when I was a teacher and coach,” Hickerson said. “I have a wife, a daughter, and now a son who I enjoy and cherish spending time with every chance I get.”

Everyone is happy to have him as the high school principal and welcoming him to the schools family atmosphere.

“In Buffalo, everyone knows everyone and it is like we are a family,” senior Makayla Gilliam said. “We are so excited to welcome him into our family and for him to successfully administer our school.”

Hickerson is hopeful for a successful year for the students, teachers, and school.

“My goal is to get to know all the teachers and students and for us to form bonds with one another to ensure that together we can make this school year successful,” Hickerson said. “My overall goal for this school year is for us to perform well academically and athletically.”