Cross country team take on district meet

On Tuesday of this week, the cross country team had their district meet at Elkhart. They brought back many medals and will be recognized at the athletic banquet in March. Although no teams will be advancing to regional competition, junior Tyler Sanders will be advancing individually. The regional meet will be held on October 29 in Huntsville.

Tyler Sanders placed third individually in the varsity boys race. Sanders said he pushed himself to get almost a minute faster than the last time he ran this course.

“When I run I think of the people that believe in me,” said Sanders. “If I give up I don’t let myself down; I let down my school, my family, my team, my coach, and everyone that looks up to me. That’s what keeps me going in races.”

While Sanders was the only runner to advance, runners on both teams have improved times all season.

“We all ran very hard that day and gave it our all,” Early said.

Sheila Rubel, coach of cross country for boys and girls, said every runner progressed throughout the year and said she saw every person develop and knock their times down lower.

“It is so good to see how much they improved and how much drive and determination they have,” Coach Rubel said.

Next year the team has hope and anticipation for next season. Training hard and running faster will definitely be taking place in practice, according to the runners who will be returning. The girls team has stated they want to go to regional’s and will not be taking no for an answer.

“We are going to be practicing harder than ever next year,” sophomore Makayla Gilliam said. “Our goal is regionals and we want to get there really really bad.”