Student Spotlight: Jake Heningan

It’s the last inning, the game is tied, the stands are full. The home crowd is on their feet cheering, hoping you pitch the perfect strike. Sweat is running down the side of his face and he’s hoping to be able to throw the perfect strike. Sophomore Jake Henigan often finds himself in this situation.

“I play baseball with a lot of heart and passion, because each game could be my last,” Henigan said. “I love the uncertainty of the game.”

Although school is an important step in Henigan’s education, baseball is something just as important to him.

“Baseball is my life. I’ve played on so many teams I can’t count them all,” Henigan said. “I like to be a role model for the younger boys.”

Henigan plays baseball year-round.

“I play for the Brazos Valley Renegades, an academy team out of College Station,” Heningan said. “This team helps me a lot because the coaches have played pro ball.”

Hunting is another of Heningan’s passions.

“I love hunting as much as I love baseball,” Henigan said. “There is nothing like the kick of a rifle on a cool morning or a warm evening.”

When Henigan isn’t playing baseball or hunting he spends his time looking at guns.

“I like the science behind ballistics,” Heningan said. “I like being able to hit things at distances not visible to the naked eye.”