Oldie but a goodie

Led Zeppelin cover mystery finally solved

After more than half a century, the identity of the elderly, stick-carrying man featured on the Led Zeppelin IV album cover has finally been revealed. The “Stick Man” who was featured on the cover of the 1971 studio album was a thatcher from the late-Victorian era, the Wiltshire Museum in southwestern England said in a statement this week. The previously unidentified photo was apparently part of the band’s plan to keep their cover mysterious and interesting – and for half a century, the cover focus remained a mystery.  

Led Zeppelin IV was made with the deliberate purpose of solidifying Led Zeppelin’s position as one of the foremost bands in rock history. The band was determined to expand their musical horizons and push the boundaries of their creativity, and they wanted to create an album that would showcase their versatility and redefine the possibilities of rock music. 

Led Zeppelin IV took about three months to record — from mid-December of 1970 to February of 1971 — and was officially released on November 8, 1971. Led Zeppelin IV was so popular that it sold over 37 million copies. 

The intent to establish themselves as musical trailblazers is reflected in the album’s multifaceted nature. Led Zeppelin strategically incorporated various musical styles, from blues to folk and hard rock, to demonstrate their range and ability to transcend genre boundaries. 

In addition, the album was a conscious effort by the band to move away from the confines of singles-oriented music prevalent during that era. They aimed to create an artistic statement that would be experienced as a cohesive unit, an album where each track contributed to a larger musical narrative. 

The band’s intentional decision to remain anonymous on the album cover, excluding both the band name and album title, added an element of mystery. The obscureness invited listeners to focus solely on the music, allowing the songs to speak for themselves without the distraction of preconceived notions based on the band’s identity. 

Ultimately, Led Zeppelin IV aimed to set a new standard for musical innovation, cementing Led Zeppelin’s reputation as pioneers and ensuring their enduring legacy in rock history. The album’s musical brilliance continues to resonate with fans and musicians alike, showcasing Led Zeppelin’s unwavering commitment to redefining the possibilities of rock music.