Meg 2 misses the mark

Movie features plenty of gore, but not much of a plot

Meg 2: The Trench is perfect for you if you enjoy watching people get eaten by sharks or are a huge fan of Shark Week on The Discovery Channel, but other than that this story is pretty boring. The storyline sees an adventurous Jonas Taylor in charge of an exploration team who must outrun and outswim the Megalodons when a malicious mining operation threatens their mission and forces them into a battle for survival. 

Meg 2: The Trench is gory, but with a PG-13 rating the carnage is kept relatively chill. If you love a good bloodbath, though, Ben Wheatley’s creative directing choices will keep your heart rate up. The shot from the point of view of a shark as it is eating people is worth the price of admission. 

The storyline contains strong acting from the main characters. They do perform the script quite well, but the script is barely even there. This movie has tons of action, and that may be appealing to some, but so many angles of the movie just seemed unfinished. On a positive note, though, the movie has more humor, laughs and gags from the characters than the original did, which keeps things fun and light-hearted. 

The story does give a nod to some of the greatest in unleashing-a-monster-on-the-world movies in history: James Cameron’s Aliens, Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park: The Lost World, William Eubank’s Underwater and more are referenced throughout, and fans of the genre will certainly recognize the allusions. 

Although there is plenty of criticism of this movie for not connecting enough to the original, the graphics are terrific. The action scenes are very well thought out and the movie received the 2023 Weibo award.