Meet the Bison showcases fall sport and spirit groups

Event raises nearly $20K for student groups

All eyes were on her. She could feel the butterflies in her stomach, she could hear the cameras clicking. She saw the stand full of parents and students. The cheers started to fade as the performance music began to play. Meet the Bison was senior Nayeli Ayalas’ first performance as the captain for the Bison Belle drill team. It was one of several performances that helped showcase the students at the annual event. 

“I was very nervous but excited at the same time,” Ayala said. “This year’s drill team is very young but they have great attitudes and want to learn.” 

Along with the rest of the coaching staff, new cross-country coach Ray Stanfield was introduced at Meet the Bison. Stanfield has coached at several colleges and universities as well as other high schools. This year’s goal is to make it to regional championships.   

“I am very excited about the cross country program here at Buffalo,” Stanfield said. “With the kids we have now and the ones that will join us, a regional championship is the goal.” 

Each sports team took their turn on the court and auctioned off homemade baked goods. Parking passes were also auctioned. In total, the event made just under $20,000. 

The volleyball varsity team auctioned off a volleyball with all of the players’ signatures on it. This year was the first year they did it. Freshman, Zoe Cheek, is on varsity and is one of the starting six.  

“It is fun being on varsity as a freshman,” Cheek said. “It is very different from playing junior high volleyball, but I like learning new things and being closer to my teammates.”  

The varsity football team auctioned a helmet with everyone’s autographs. Athletic director Jamin Savell said he feels really happy with this year’s football team regardless of how young they are. He said they have been working hard and are helping each other.  

“Our main goal is to use pre-district games to get us ready for district,” Savell said. “The next goal is to lock up a playoff spot and this year win a playoff game or two.”