Missing victims remain from Sewol Ferry disaster

JINDO-GUN, SOUTH KOREA – APRIL 16: (SOUTH KOREA OUT) In this handout provided by Donga Daily, The Republic of Korea Coast Guard work at the site of ferry sinking accident off the coast of Jindo Island on April 16, 2014 in Jindo-gun, South Korea. Four people are confirmed dead and almost 300 are reported missing. The ferry identified as the Sewol is reported to have been carrying around 470 passengers, including students and teachers, as it travelled to Jeju island. (Photo by Park Young-Chul-Donga Daily via Getty Images)

Bones recovered from a sunken ferry off the coast of South Korea briefly gave hope to families whose relatives’ fates were still in limbo. When the Sewol Ferry disaster happened back in 2014, 304 people were reported dead; however, nine people remained classified as missing and were searched for. The 140-meter ferry was finally lifted from the water by engineers working late at night, and remains were found on the boat.

It was first believed that the remains that were found on deck were of a dead human; however, forensic teams looked at the DNA of the remains to find that the bones were actually of an animal rather than a missing human. The families of the victims of the incident still mourn, and hold out hope to find the remains of their loved ones so they can lay them to rest.