Legal marijuana market facing difficulty

Andy Colwell
Automated fans and cultivation lights are pictured operating above cannabis plants at RiNo Supply’s cultivation facility near Lafayette on Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018. Automation sensors monitor temperature, humidity and light intensity inside the greenhouse as a way of regulating the fans and light output and, according to the cannabis company, help reduce energy-consumption costs. (Photo by Andy Colwell/ Special to The Colorado Sun)

Virtual parties and video chats replaced outdoor smoking sessions to mark the rise of legalization and celebrate cannabis culture on the weekend leading up to 4/20. The origins of the annual celebration are believed tied to a group of Northern California high school friends, who used the code as slang for smoking pot in the early 1970s. For marijuana businesses, 4/20 is usually their once-a-year Black Friday, when sales soar. Instead, they are reporting up-and-down buying and pondering an uncertain future. During the COVID-19 shutdown, many are spending less or going to underground markets to purchase.