Order on the court

Basketball teams face tough district starts
Senior+Terrell+Brooks+goes+up+to+block+a+shot+in+the+varsity+game+against+Teague.+The+team+took+a+loss+but+hope+to+add+to+their+win+column+when+they+start+play+again+after+Christmas.+
Ryan Brown
Senior Terrell Brooks goes up to block a shot in the varsity game against Teague. The team took a loss but hope to add to their win column when they start play again after Christmas.

Basketball teams have been hard and heavy with pre-district games and tournaments with the Bison moving into district play last week. The teams had this Tuesday off after taking on Teague at home last Friday. The players and coaches will take a few days off before they are back to practicing and playing after Christmas. The Ladies will take on New Waverly in New Waverly on December 29 with games starting at 1:00. 

Sophomore Victoria Brooks fields the ball while playing against Teague. The girls will pick up district play after the holidays. (Ryan Brown)

The Ladies started district play against Elkhart, moving on to Fairfield before taking on Teague. N between, they had a tournament in Cumby. Despite coming up short at the tournament and picking up losses in district play so far, the players are finding positives in their growth. 

“The team did really well, and this tournament only made me and the team better,” Jesse Brandes said. “Going into this tournament we all knew there were going to be tough teams playing, but that’s only going to make us better going forward.” 

Boys basketball started district against Teague, picking up a loss. They were coming off a tournament in Centerville. Donte Lott said he felt like the tournament was really good for the team. 

“We did really well at the tournament. We played some rough teams but that only made us better,” Donte said. “ For me the tournament was great, it made me a better basketball player and pushed me a lot.” 

Both teams will be back in district play right after the new year, taking on Westwood at home on Tuesday, January 2, and then Groesbeck in Groesbeck on Friday, January 5. Games will start at 5:00 on both nights.