Groundhog Day

Bison face second tough loss of the season
Mason Ayles
Sophomore Sayni Jones and senior Maddox Hardin line up to face off against the Westwood team. The Bison team is a young one, with multiple freshman and sophomore players.

The Buffalo Bison took a tough loss against the Westwood Tigers Friday night. Buffalo had high hopes for this game since Westwood hadn’t won against Buffalo in the past five years. 

The varsity boys were hyped for this game, and after losing against Centerville the week before were ready to add a W to their record. Instead, they found themselves on the losing end of the scoreboard again. 

“We have to turn it around, this offense will have to pick up the slack or we won’t be able to win anything,” Athletic Director Jamin Savell said. “Our defense can’t be out there every couple of downs.” 

Savell said that there is still hope for the offense and they have improved since the Centerville game. 

“They have gotten better and a lot more active on offense,” Savell said. “I have high hopes for this team. We have talent, they are just young and need time to get used to varsity.” 

Savell said he was really happy with sophomore Hayden Shaw. 

“He played as good as I wanted him to,” Savell said. “He’s tough and he loves the game of football. You can tell he does because he plays his heart out.” 

The coaching staff hopes that things start to click for the Bison soon. 

“I wish our offense could figure it out,” Coach Jesse House said. “My defense will get the stop, but eventually they are going to get tired.” 

Linebacker Maddox Hardin caught some attention with his performance Friday night. He played dominantly and aggressively, racking up 11 tackles in one game while also playing defensive end and getting a sack. 

“He played well, he played hard and aggressive and he did what I wanted,” House said. “I think he’ll be a lot better at defensive end based on his performance Friday night.”