“Joker” draws criticism

All jokes aside, Todd Phillips’s newest adaptation starring DC Comics iconic supervillain has stirred up some serious criticism. Unlike “Batman” or “The Dark Knight”, “Joker” gives Arthur Fleck (played by Joaquin Phoenix) the opportunity to carry the entire story on his own.

“Joker” was released on October 4, 2019. It was directed by Phillips, along with screenplay by Scott Silver.

Fleck is a wannabe comedian who is unfunny and gives off a disturbing image. What’s even more disturbing is his condition in which he laughs uncontrollably in the wrong situations. Although his excessive laughter made some scenes uncomfortable and hard to watch, it was still a unique laugh that contributed to his act. The image of the Joker was different from previous versions, but the infamous face makeup did not match, personality-wise.

As for my opinion on the film, it was unexpected. For someone named the Joker, you’d think they would be amusing, however, this film lacks a single speck of fun. Fleck is vulnerable and unstable. Rather than portraying a diabolical clown, the actor gave off the impression of a psychotic loner, which differs from the previous Jokers.

Overall, the movie was not bad. Phoenix added his own traits to the character that made this film special and different from any other one. It was a major step up from Jared Leto’s version of the Joker on “Suicide Squad”, but it could never compare to Heath Ledger’s performance in “The Dark Knight”, which he won in Oscar. That being said, “Joker” is a light-hearted thriller that will surprise you whether you love it or hate it.