Larry Nassar convicted of child molestation

Former Michigan State University and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar appears at Ingham County Circuit Court on November 22, 2017 in Lansing, Michigan. Former USA Gymnastics team doctor Lawrence (Larry) Nassar, accused of molesting dozens of female athletes over several decades, on Wednesday pleaded guilty to multiple counts of criminal sexual conduct. Nassar — who was involved with USA Gymnastics for nearly three decades and worked with the country’s gymnasts at four separate Olympic Games — could face at least 25 years in prison on the charges brought in Michigan. / AFP PHOTO / JEFF KOWALSKY (Photo credit should read JEFF KOWALSKY/AFP/Getty Images)

Larry Nassar is an American girls gymnastics national team doctor and an osteopathic physician at Michigan State University. Nassar, once a world renowned and known for his specialty in treating girls gymnastic patients, was convicted of serial child molestation; and charged with 40 to 175 years in prison after more than 150 women and girls said in court that they were sexually abused by Nassar.

A total of 156 women and girls spoke of the times visiting their gymnastics team doctor for treatments. Nassar would treat the girls by touching their pelvic areas, in some cases using an ungloved hand to touch private areas. Many of the girls who came to Nassar for medical related injuries, struggled with anxiety and depression after the abuse. At court, Nassar cried and kept his head down as the women bravely spoke. Judge Aquilina allowed anyone who wanted to speak talk; although the women faced this terrible sexual abuse, they are thankful for a chance to speak out.