Esophageal Cancer May Be Spreading

If you smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol daily, you may want to consider letting your tea cool before drinking in. Drinking tea while its too hot could increase your risk of of getting esophageal cancer, a new study.

In a study published Monday in the Annals of internal Medicine, drinking “hot” or “burning hot” can increase esophageal cancer, but only in people who smoke or drink alcohol.

Esophageal cancer is the eighth most common cancer in the world. Esophageal Kills approximately 400,000 people every year, according to International Agency for Research on Cancer. This cancer is usually caused by smoking, drinking acid reflux, and maybe hot liquids.

Participants who drank tea on a weekly basis were asked to describe its temperature as “warm” “hot” “or “burning hot.” Drinking hot or burning hot tea was not, by itself, a predictor of esophageal cancer, which is good news for tea aficionados. Drinking hot tea contributed to cancer only when it clustered with smoking and drinking alcohol excessively.

In the United States and Europe, tea is rarely consumed at temperatures above 149 degrees, but in places like Russia, Iran, Turkey and South America, it is common to drink tea that hot or even hotter.

However, tea has many health benefits. Tea is probably one of the most studied food and beverages in the world today. So tea drinkers who don’t smoke or drink probably don’t need to switch to a different beverage anytime soon.