Student Spotlight: Michael Brauer

Senior+Michael+Brauer+lifts+at+a+meet+last+spring+with+coach+James+Talley+spotting.+
menefee
Senior Michael Brauer lifts at a meet last spring with coach James Talley spotting.

Junior Michal Brauer was on his last set, 325 pounds on the bars, his arms trembling as he struggled to get his fourth rep up. No one watching thought he would make it to his fifth, but he pushed through the pain and made it. Brauer knows that his focus is as important as his physical strength when it comes to powerlifting; it’s part of what has made him successful. 

Brauer is a multi-sport athlete. He does it all. Well, most of it. While he doesn’t play basketball, he does compete in football, baseball, track and powerlifting. Besides the competition, he likes the benefits.  

“Football is a way to keep me in shape,” Brauer said. “It keeps me healthy.”  

Brauer said there are differences in how he has to approach each sport. 

“I love baseball because it is more of a mental game than physical,” he said. “The mental part always helps get a win.” 

Coaches say Brauer, who started school at BHS last year and had to wait until this season to play varsity football, has been a positive addition to the athletic department.  

“Mike is one of our most intelligent players,” coach James Talley said. “He has become one of our best linemen and someone that we can lean on for leadership.”