JV Football starts season

Plenty of fans and players alike worried all summer that football season might not happen at all this year due to COVID-19, but the players took the field and the JV football team had its first game last week, pulling out a great win against Elkhart, 22-0. A regulation of 50% capacity didn’t stop the fans from piling in to cheer on the team, either.

“I was really pumped about winning our first game of the season,” freshman Maddox Hardin said. “It just showed how serious and excited we are for this season, and I can’t wait to win more.”

Although the boys won this first game, they acknowledge there is still a lot of hard work and dedication that has to be put in in order to have a successful season.

“I feel like there are still some things we haven’t figured out,” freshman Aiden Savage said. “There’s a lot of things our team still needs to work on, but I feel like once we get more practice time in those things will be natural to us.”

Halftime is an important part of the game for this team; this is the time they pump themselves back up and get hyped for round two.

“Halftime is the time where we have to take it seriously, especially if we’re losing,” freshman Brayden Batts said. “During halftime, we usually just get in a huddle and the coaches give us criticism and we talk and get pumped for the second half.”

Many of these boys have been playing since a very young age or have older siblings that play, so they feel like football is just in their blood.

“I have always had a love for football ever since I was little,” freshman Michael Few said. “It was great listening to everyone cheer for us. I didn’t think a lot of people would come out, but we sure did have a crowd.”