Art classes focus on pink

Freshman Jordan Jenkins works on her pumpkin for the Pink Out game.

scott photo

The Art 1 and Art 2 classes decorated and spray painted pumpkins for breast cancer awareness month, which they displayed at the Pink Out football game when the Bison took on Centerville. The class wanted to honor women who have fought the disease.

“It was really fun making the pumpkins,” sophomore Morgan Mulson said. “It was also very messy.”

The students displayed the pumpkins on the gym floor during the “pink out” pep rally. Breast cancer survivors were encouraged to stand up and be recognized with a standing ovation, which helped to drive home the lesson teacher Amanda Harter was trying to teach.

“I found the idea online,” teacher Amanda Harter said. “I thought it would be great for the art students to do something that would help our community realize how much breast cancer has impacted our area.”

According to Harter, they are planning on taking pumpkin donations next year on October 1 for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The group also plans to add pink pumpkins to the business displays in town next year. The students are glad that the new project is turning into a tradition.

“We got to spray paint the pumpkins pink,” senior Tabitha Calhoun said. “It was pretty cool.”

Besides the fun of spray painting the base coat, students had a chance to place whatever they wanted on them, including words of inspiration. They also put the names of the people who have passed away from breast cancer and names of the people who survived breast cancer.

“I liked decorating the pumpkins because I had a good idea to put something in German on it,” junior Carol Shlickting said. “Not only to think of the women here, but the women all around the world.”