Chromebooks – one year later

Chromebooks - one year later

It seems like every day, people are depending more and more on technology to do their mundane tasks for them, and for the most part, people appear happy with the addition of technology into their lives.

Schools across the nation have been implementing technology into their curriculums to be able to fit the needs of students in a way they understand more. For example, we have recently added Chromebooks and have given – well, loaned –  one to every student in junior high and high school. Students have been able to be more focused on their work in classes and have found better online methods to help them in understanding their lessons.

Teachers who utilize the technology have been impressed with the progress that their students have made. Before Chromebooks, students who were behind in technology had trouble with basic email and word processing skills, something that all students have to do now to communicate with several of their teachers. While paper and pencil assignments have not been wiped out completely, students are definitely more exposed now to digital presentations and assignments.

Not all of the changes have been positive, though. Students do sometimes “forget” their Chromebooks or chargers, and when a student breaks a screen or something else on their Chromebook, it might take some time to get it fixed. Some students use chats or messaging when they are supposed to be focusing on classwork. On occasions when the WiFi might be down, planned lessons or projects may have to be put off, which can be frustrating for teachers and students alike. Still, most of the progress has been positive.

Technology has had a positive effect among students, teachers and even the school board, who also now use Chromebooks rather than piles of papers. In addition to giving teachers and students an easier way to communicate and learn, it saves on paper and copies and helps students to strengthen their technology skills, making them ready for the real world.