Behaving badly

Spectator behavior needs to find higher ground
Photo courtesy of Envato Elements subscription

Football is going full steam after hours and hours of summer training, hours in the weight room, and even more hours sweating in the Texas sun; volleyball is the same, well into their district play after an incredible amount of hard work. Pretty soon basketball will be showing their stuff on the court after putting in the hours, as well. And while this seems like a postive thing, and usually is, sometimes the spectators in the stands makes the experience far less enjoyable than it should be for the athletes and coaches.  

There has been a growing trend nationwide of parents reacting negatively to refs and the players on the other team – and all-too-often, to the players and coaches on their own team. From profanity, physical agression, and even all out fights when calls don’t go their way, parents are flinging their worst at a time when they should be on their best behavior. Unruly behavior at high school sports events is leading some schools to set stricter rules for fans attending games. It’s also caused the National Federation of State High School Associations to launch a Bench Bad Behavior campaign to bring awareness that harassment and dangerous behavior is leading to a shortage of game officials and the canceling of games. 

Sports are designed to grow not just the physical strength of the athletes, but the character of the athletes, as well. This means learning to win – and to lose – with grace. Doing so is not only important in the game itself, but also in life. The problem is, kids see their parents and they mimc their behavior, and when they see their parents making excuses, calling names and acting poorly, they tend to show the same behaviors, both in and out of the game. Unfortunately, by the time student athletes are in high school, they’ve been learning from a few negative examples for their whole lives, and they often repeat that behavior when they are spectators at another game.  

And sadly, the behavior doesn’t always end at the last buzzer. The NFHS’s CEO, Karissa Niehoff, said parents and other fans have come out from the stands at games to attack referees and yell obscenities at officials. Fans also are tracking down officials after games to insult and throw objects at them. It’s out of control. 

As you’re cheering for your team just remember: how we act sets the tone for the next generation. If errors and bad decisions are made, give grace and encouragement, not anger. And if another adult gets out of control, remember, your children and others are watching how you handle the situation. Focus on leading by example with sportsmanship and civility. Even though its sports and people can get rowdy, just remember that kids are watching what you do. Make your response memorable for the right reasons.