History students simulate senate trial

Superintendent Lacy Freeman shakes hands with junior Allison Grissett during the history class simulation. Freeman joined the class for the first day of the activity.

Making a decision in congress takes a lot of effort. The dual credit history students got a little taste of just how hard it is to pass laws in the senate with a simulated trial last week.

For the trial, the students were split into regions of the United States set in the year 1820. On Monday, the students got to try to sway the votes of other regions. On Tuesday, the students voted. The region with the most laws passed got three one-hundred grade as their reward.

“The students were very active and engaged in the negotiating activity,” teacher Jill Henson said. “I hope it teaches the students, not just how congress works, but also the difficulties of how laws are passed,”

There were many heated discussions that went on during the negotiation day.

“The negotiations were pretty funny because everyone was taking it very seriously and it got really intense,” junior Diana Avila said. “As for the voting, it was cool to see who made deals with who and what the outcomes were.”

On the voting day the students realized the educational aspect of the activity and found out the results.

“I believe that it was a marvelous way to involve my classmates and I in a fun and educational activity,” junior Abby Smith said. “I think we have a better understanding of some of the inner workings of our government.”