Top of the pyramid

Cheer squad shows off at state competition
menefee
The cheer squad hits the mat at state competition. The team made the first cut for finals but missed the second.

After a few days off for the Christmas break, the high school cheerleaders were back in the gym to prepare for state cheer competition. On January 3, before school was even back in session after the break, the group loaded up and headed to Ft. Worth for their competition the next day at the Ft. Worth Convention Center. 

The convention center was crammed with competitors and fans the next morning. The cheerleaders performed and then played the waiting game. When the potential advancers list came out, the Buffalo squad was listed. 

“It definitely felt like a big step forward,” sophomore Kaylen Sanchez said. “Last year we didn’t make that list, so we could see how much our work had paid off.” 

When the final advancement list came out, the squad had missed the final cut to finals. Despite being disappointed, they were thankful for the experience. Freshman Riley Davis said felt happy to experience the state competition for the first time and was grateful that she got to go. 

“The experience was so much fun,” Davis said. “I didn’t think competing would be so exciting but it was.” 

As fun as the experience was, there was a lot of pressure on the squad. 

“It was stressful getting ready for the contest,” Davis said, “but it was all worth it at the end.” 

Freshman Yurit Espino said the experience is one she will treasure. 

“I never thought I would be cheering in high school and going to compete for state,” Espino said. “I was nervous when the competition was getting closer, but once we stepped on that floor we did so well. It was the best experience ever.”