Upward bound

FCCLA takes top spots at competition, moves to state
nelson
Two FCCLA members earned officer spots while at their regional convention in January.

FCCLA competitors traveled to Galveston and competed against students from across Region IV. All teams placed and will compete at state in Dallas in April. The group was awarded the Region IV “Service Learning” Award for being the school with the most participation in the region service learning project, which benefitted CASA in Galveston. 

FCCLA chapter advisor Chelsea Nelson said she is proud of all of those who competed and their hard work. 

“You have to understand that our students competed directly with Tomball High School students, Deer Park students, and College Station students as well as other 5A and 6A schools and our students came out on top,” Nelson said. “To say that I am proud is an understatement.” 

This competition was not all the group has done this year. They have collected and donated canned food items, coloring books, children’s books, eyeglasses, shoes and school supplies. The chapter held a food drive along with the FFA chapter in September to benefit the North Texas Food Bank. Together they were able to donate more than 500 canned food items to benefit the 13 counties that the North Texas Food Bank serves. The chapter participated in the Region IV FCCLA service project by collecting  238 school supply items for CASA of Galveston, earning our chapter the Region 4 service award. Chapter advisor Amanda Harter said everyone is doing great and is glad they could do something for the community.

“The whole point of our community service projects is to teach our members the power of one,” Harter said. “One person has the ability to make change, small change perhaps and when we all come together we can create big change.”