Healthy habits

Freshmen attend county safety event
Freshmen+line+up+to+experience+what+it+is+like+to+be+under+the+influence+using+simulation+goggles.+The+booth+is+a+big+hit+every+year+at+the+event.+
cleveland
Freshmen line up to experience what it is like to be under the influence using simulation goggles. The booth is a big hit every year at the event.

The Freshmen went to the Leon Expo Center for the annual health fair earler this week to learn about relationships, human trafficking and other subjects of safety. 

Every year the freshman class goes to the health fair and learns about a variety of different subjects such as the harms of vaping and how to perform CPR along with nutrition and how to spot red flags in a relationship. 

“I really enjoyed the health fair and what they taught us,” freshman Korbin Rodriguez said. “I got to do a lot of things and I really enjoyed it.” 

The students arrived at the Leon Expo Center early and stayed most of the day. Freshmen from around the county shared the space with sixth graders, with each group in different spots at different times. 

“A lot of this stuff I knew before, but I learned a lot more from the fair; I’m glad I learned more about safety,” freshman Gaven Stenett said. “It wasn’t a bad field trip, and it wasn’t super boring.” 

Students were able to try a drunk driving simulation to see how they would do. They were also able to wear goggles that showed what being under the influence looked like. 

“My favorite part of the simulation was trying to avoid the cars and stay in the right lane,” freshman Jorge Perez said. “I didn’t stay in the right lane at all, but it was a really fun experience and I enjoyed it.”