Making a difference

School organizations celebrate Mental Health Awareness Month and prepare for Red Ribbon Week

Red Ribbon Week has been a school activity across the country for decades to encourage healthy lifestyle choices; while it started out as a drug-free celebration – and remains so – it has grown to also include being healthy in all aspects of life, including mental health. Since October is also Mental Health Awareness Month, the two topics go well together. Different organizations on campus are working to bring awareness to multiple topics, and of course, the focus remains on staying drug free.  

“I think that what the school is doing with Red Ribbon Week is very good because it is telling kids not only to not do drugs but is also telling them what the side effects are,” Principles of Human Sciences teacher Stacy Cornett said. “The mental health angle is important, too. The quotes and speeches that are being announced are very beneficial for those who are already having a bad day.” 

NHS and Student Council students are focusing right now on mental health awareness and will add drug-free messages to what they are working on as the month goes on. Sophomore Kaylen Sanchez says she is excited to be a part of putting together posters and thinks this will have a good impact on the school.  

“I think it’s something really fun and interactive with the students,” Sanchez said. “It also allows them to be a part of something as important as a mental awareness month.” 

FCCLA is having a dress-up week for Red Ribbon Week. On Wednesday, students will wear red and a cap for ‘rally in red and put a cap on drugs’. On Thursday they’ll wear crazy socks, and on Friday purple and gold to show off their school spirit. Tie-dye on Monday will send the message of peace out to drugs and the week will wrap up on Halloween on Tuesday with Halloween costumes.  

“Red Ribbon week is a fun way for people to see that drugs do you no good,” FCCLA adviser Amanda Harter said. “You never hear anyone say, ‘drugs made my life better.’ They ruin your life.” 

FCCLA is also sponsoring a door decorating competition. Teachers will decorate their doors leading up to Tuesday when they decide who the winner will be. The prize will be awarded to the teacher with the best-decorated door.  

“I am really excited for this year’s Red Ribbon Week door decorating competition,” English teacher Judith Harris said. “I think Red Ribbon Week isn’t taken into importance as much as it should be. Decorating doors is a good way to show how we care for Red Ribbon Week, but I do think we could expand our minds and do something bigger so more students and teachers can get involved.” 

Getting students involved and making a difference is the goal for both Mental Health Awareness Month and Red Ribbon Week. 

“The two events really go hand-in-hand, and both are so important for our students,” student council adviser Melonie Menefee said. “Finding ways for our students to navigate these years safely is incredibly important.”