Student Spotlight: Yzabel Salazar

Band! Ten hut!

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight….

Every student finds something that makes their high school experience worthwhile, and for senior Ysabel Salazar that something is marching band. Salazar has been in band since junior high. She first began marching in seventh grade, and this year she is one of the drum majors of the Bison Brigade.

“During her 7th grade year, she showed up to the first day of band camp and ever since then she has been a diehard member of marching band,” band director Jeff Villarreal said. “As drum major, she is very strong from the field and the podium, commanding respect from her peers. This band is where it is because of Yza’s commitment to it, and I don’t think that I have ever encountered a harder working person than her.”

Besides marching band, Salazar is involved in National Honor Society, UIL, and Spanish Club. She holds a leadership position in both marching band and Spanish Club.

“In marching band, I am a drum major, and in Spanish Club, I am the parliamentarian,” Salazar said. “As drum major, I conduct certain parts of our marching show and as parliamentarian, I don’t specifically know what I do, I just try to be as helpful as possible.”  

Many of Salazar’s classmates say that she is an easy person to talk to and that she always seems to have a good spirit.

“I’ve known of Yza since my freshman year, but I didn’t ever talk to her until this year,” junior Dylan Cornish said. “The stupid and weird conversations that she and I have in Ms.Vann’s class is what made us close. I’m going to miss her when she graduates because my days are going to be boring without having those conversations.”

Everyone that knows Yza, describes her as confident, outgoing, loud, or as someone that doesn’t stop until she achieves her goals. She is also known to stick up for those that have a hard time sticking up for themselves.

“I have known Yza since elementary school but we didn’t become good friends until 5th grade, senior Sonia Dominguez said. “I being the awkward kid I was back then, just sat at the lunch table with her and her friends, until they accepted me. One of my favorite memories of the two of us was when someone tried to make fun of me and she stood up for me. It was probably something small for her but I’m still grateful that she did.”

A few months ago, on the bus ride home from Regional marching competition, the band kids became a little emotional at the thought of the seniors graduating. The seniors themselves also became emotional, because to them, especially to Yzabel, the Brigade is like a second family.

“I try not to acknowledge the fact that I’m graduating, but I know it’s coming,” Senior Yzabel Salazar said. “I hate that I have to leave these kids since they are like family to me, but if us seniors were to stay here, there wouldn’t be any growth. It’s their time to shine now.”