FCCLA officer training preps students for activities

Last week, the FCCLA Officers attended an officer training in Dallas. This training focused on issues like teen driving, leadership and spreading publicity about the program.

“My favorite part about being in FCCLA is that we get to participate in events like this,” junior Makayla Gilliam said. “I really enjoy being a part a program that really teaches its members about important issues.”

Those that attended were Lindsey Gonzalez, Makayla Gilliam, Lupita Martinez, Chelsea and Callie Harter. The girls said that once they got there, they were all split up in different groups in order to talk about different topics like teen driving and leadership.

“We each had very different topics to learn about,” freshman Linsdey Gonzalez said. “In my group they talked about teen driving and the precautions that need to be taken.”

The girls said they did many fun exercises and games in order to interact with each other. Lindsey said they played high five games with their eyes closed.

“I really enjoyed the experience,” Gonzalez said. “I made so many new friends.”

They also had a special speaker who talked about fear and how important it is to overcome it.
Makayla said that this was her favorite part of the officer training.

“I really enjoyed the special speaker because it really motivated me that I can get through the worst of times,” Gilliam said. “It made me realize that fear is just a mindset that it is really no harm to us.”