Teacher Spotlight: Henry Goff

When people think of teachers they often think of people that teach boring subjects that won’t help them later on in life. However, ag teacher Henry Goff not only makes learning fun, but he teaches his students skills that will help them long after they graduate.

“I teach my students about speaking, parliamentary procedure, plants, animals, welding, mechanics electrical skills, plumbing skills and a little bit of wildlife every now and then,” ag teacher Henry Goff said. “How to make money using your hands, that’s what I teach.”

Many students admire Mr. Goff because of his fun and kind personality. Some of Goff’s students say that he is an extremely positive and good hearted person.

“Mr. Goff is a kind hearted and caring person,” sophomore Dustin Morgan said. “He is the type of teacher that sees the bright side of every student and tries to make them shine. I think in his mind he knows that us students look up to him, so he tries to be a great role model for us.”

Goff has been a teacher for 12 years. His father was part of his inspiration for wanting to become an ag teacher.

“I wanted to become an ag teacher, because my dad was a farmer,” Goff said. “He farms for an ag experiment station in McGregor, and I saw how hard he worked. Also when I took ag in high school, that was the class that allowed the teacher the freedom to teach about life, and I decided I wanted to do that.”  

However, Goff didn’t grow up wanting to be an ag teacher.

“I originally wanted to be a doctor,” Goff said. “I was actually accepted into the medical field at West Point and Texas A&M, but I knew that I wanted to make an impact somewhere. So I decided to go with ag teaching.”

Henry Goff is not only a teacher, but he also coaches many FFA teams.

“Throughout my career, I have coached every single leadership contest,” Goff said. “The Mr. Goff that coaches chapter conducting, creed speaking, and radio now, used to coach the other events. I also coach judging contests and speaking contests.”

Learning to do, doing to learn, earning to live, living to serve; is what Goff strives to teach all of his students, whether they are in FFA or not.

“You can’t not learn something from Mr. Goff,” junior Reese Davis said. Just his teaching style in general, it makes you learn something, but in a way that sticks. The one thing that I have learned from Mr. Goff that will stick with me forever, is that Faith is the key to everything.”