Journalism students connect with Tunisian school

The journalism staff is participating in the Global Nomads program for the third year, connecting this time around with students at a school in Tunisia. They recently held their first international video conference, sharing customs with students on the other side of the globe.

“This is my first year doing GNG,” sophomore Savanna Guevara said. “I really enjoyed how excited they were to be talking to us.”

The staff had a chance to ask questions to the Tunisian group about their culture and traditions. The group even showed them some dances.

“The dances were really good,” sophomore Melanie Slay said. “They were really nice and asked pretty good questions.”

The American students showcased a variety of foods, from tortillas to corndogs.

“We showcased many types of Tex-Mex food,” sophomore Yomele Almeida said, “It’s interesting to see what food different cultures eat so maybe they will show us what they typically eat.”

The students will meet for three more international video conferences during the spring semester and each group will put together a global awareness project to share.

“This program has been amazing in terms of opening the eyes of my students to what life is like in other parts of the world,” adviser Melonie Menefee said. “I would love to take them to some of these places, but that is not possible; this program is the next best thing.”