Christmas Extravaganza offers holiday fun

The third annual Christmas Extravaganza offered games and activities as well as food choices for the community to enjoy while listening to performances by all of the BISD band groups. 

Sophomore Sheri Donaldson helps freshman Colby Menefee get ready for his role as one of Santa’s reindeer for the Extravaganza.

Santa and Mrs. Claus were there, along with his favorite elf and reindeer. The Ugly Sweater Contest had everyone laughing and the games and prizes kept the younger kids busy. 

“Each year more and more people attend the extravaganza and this year we had the biggest turnout yet,” band director Jeff Villarreal said. “The community is our true audience and we wanted them to see how hard everyone worked to pull off such a fun event! I believe we did just that.”

For the first time, the band incorporated a bigger variety of instruments. There was a baritone saxophone, bass clarinet and different percussion instruments that had never been used before. The audience enjoyed all of the different instrument sounds in the music.

“The music, along with the food, was wonderful and filled the cafeteria with Christmas spirit,” English teacher and GUILD sponsor Martha Zimmerman said. “I thought it was pretty neat that they had both the junior high and high school bands play and that there were so many different instruments. I also loved that it was so laid back and everyone conversed with the band members in between songs.”

The beginning band played Up On A Housetop, and Jingle Bells. The junior high combined with the high school band played Winter Wonderland, Malaguena, Holly Jolly Christmas, Basin Street Blues, The Little Drummer Boy, and Stand by Me.

“My favorite song that we played was Winter Wonderland,” freshman flute player Brittany Few said. “This was my first year playing at the Extravaganza, and I had a really good time. My favorite part of the Christmas Extravaganza was getting to spend time with my junior high friends since I don’t  get to see them as often now that marching season is over.”

There were even two new groups that helped out with the extravaganza. The GUILD, also known as the game club, helped out with the crafts, and the GEMS science group made and sold instant snow. According to both sponsors, many children came by their tables more than once throughout the night.

“I had a good time helping the children make crafts and hanging out with my friends,” sophomore and GUILD member Matthew Saenz said. “I got to help out the GUILD, watch my younger cousin play her clarinet, and help children have a good time. If I am still around next year I would love to do it again.”