Belles help out with elementary Polar Express

The Bison Belles traveled to the elementary for two days this week to help play characters on the Polar Express. Since the elementary was unable to go to the actual Polar Express this year, the teachers didn’t want the children to miss out on the experience. They decorated an empty classroom to look like the inside of the train, and the Belles dressed up as Christmas characters and ran the event.

“If I had the chance I would definitely do it again,” sophomore Ashley Thunderhawk said. “We sang Christmas music and reenacted the Polar Express story, and I think that the kids loved it. My favorite part was spending time with the kids and getting to bring a smile to their faces.”

This was the first year that the elementary and the Bison Belles have ever done something like this. The Belles were contacted in October and were asked to fill in the roles of Christmas characters. A total of 21 Belles went to help out and the majority of them dressed up as elves or waitresses.

“It was a fun experience, and I loved seeing the kids smile when they saw Santa walk in,” sophomore Yomele Almeida said. “I was dressed up as Santa and even though it was hot in the suit, it was worth it because the kids enjoyed it.”

The event turned out to be a huge success for everyone. The teachers said the children enjoyed it. The Belles came back from the elementary saying that they were tired and that it was a lot of hard work, but that it was fun and they had a blast.

“The most important thing that you can give another person is your time,” Director Amanda Harter said. “I am so proud of the 59th line for giving up their time to help the elementary Kindergarten and Pre-K classes have a Polar Express experience. I dare say that neither group will forget it!”