Physics students create mousetrap cars

Kyle Gleghorn’s physics class completed their annual mousetrap car project requirement last week and spent a class period recording their results.

“I remember last year’s physics class making mousetrap cars,” senior Kynlee Driskill said. “It looked so fun to me. I was excited when Mr. Gleghorn told us that we’d be doing the project.”

Excited or not, some of the students pushed off making the project until right before the due date.

“I finished my project a couple of days before we were supposed to be testing them,” senior Cameron Varner said. “I was so glad when my car went past the 5 meter mark so I didn’t have to remake or fix it. “

The students were instructed to build a car that traveled a minimum of five meters. Some of the cars did not make it.

“Our car didn’t travel five meters because we didn’t have sturdy tires,” junior Jordy Maltos said. “We also didn’t have any traction. But after immediate fixes we were able to make it travel the distance.”       

The class tested their cars in the gymnasium, right above the stands.

“I wanted the kids to test out their cars in the gym because of its smooth floor,” Gleghorn said. “The smooth surface gave the cars a chance to accelerate at their full potential. I also wanted the students away from the hallways so that they wouldn’t disturb any other classes.

The students were able to put their own unique twists on their cars. Varying in color, shape and weight, each car was customized.

“I decorated my car with red tape and wrote my car’s name on it,” Driskill said. “I named it ‘Red Snapper’”.