Taylor crowned queen

Kysa Taylor was crowned Homecoming Queen Friday night; the other candidates were Kynlee Driskill, Jordan Jenkins and Lauren Pate.

“I’m very glad that these girls were nominated,” sophomore Makayla Gilliam. “They’re not all just beautiful, but they are great role models.”

Kysa Taylor said that when she heard her name during nominations for homecoming queen she was honestly surprised but very grateful and happy at the same time.

“If I were to become homecoming queen I would be sure to exemplify humbleness, gratefulness, happiness,” Taylor said. “All of the qualities someone should present while representing.”

Kysa is a member of the softball team, NHS and FCA. She is also very active in her church youth group.

“Kysa is a very sweet girl,” sophomore Colton Green said. “I think she’s the perfect fit for a homecoming candidate because of her involvement in many different organizations.”

Lauren Pate said that when she heard the candidates being announced, she very surprised. However, she also said that she is very excited.

“As a homecoming candidate I want to treat everybody with respect,” Pate said. “I think that’s the most important quality a candidate can have.”

Pate is involved in FCCLA, which helps around the community by going over to the elementary with younger students and they do several community service projects. She is also one of the only seniors on this years basketball team.

“Lauren loves being around younger kids, I think that’s one of the great things she’s captured from being apart of FCCLA,” sophomore Melanie McGill said. “It’s important that the younger kids look up to them.”

Jordan Jenkins said that she was very shocked to hear her name as one the candidates. However, she said she is honored and excited.

“Being chosen for homecoming court means that your student body sees you as a good representation of BHS,” Jenkins said. “ If I am chosen to be the queen I’ll make sure that I represented our school in a positive way.”

Jordan is a member of the journalism team, she is in NHS, and she participates in basketball and track.

“Jordan is a smart and athletic young girl,” junior Aileen Ramirez said. “She represents that you can do both and that is something a queen should represent: versatility.”

Kynlee Driskill is the last of the four homecoming candidates. She participates in cheer, FCCLA, and she is a member in NHS.

“Kynlee is a great leader, she is absolutely one of the most optimistic people I know,” freshman Taylor Beshears said. “Optimism is the most important thing a queen should have, and that’s exactly what Kynlee has.”