Student Spotlight: Hector Dominguez

Sophomore Hector Dominguez is involved in many extracurricular activities in school including track, power lifting, and his favorite sport, football. This will be his second season on varsity. He is one of the starting running backs on the team and is expected to be one of the key players.

“I feel confident about this season,” Dominguez said. “ I see full potential in this year’s team.”

Dominguez says he prepares for the season months beforehand. He and other players work out throughout the summer with Andy Stevens. Dominguez believes that preparing early is important.

“I like to prepare before the season,” Dominguez said. “When it starts, I’m confident with my ability.”

Dominguez has played football since he was a young boy, starting at the age of 5. He played little league football with the Bears, later known as Lightning. His team won the super bowl against Marlin. In junior high they were undefeated both years and were district champs, as well.

“I started at a young age because I saw my older brothers play,” Dominguez said. “It motivated me to get started.”

Although most of his life has been focused on football, Hector has other attributes to offer. He is in the top 10% of his class. His favorite subjects are math and chemistry. He wants to become an engineer when he gets older.

“Education is above all else,” Dominguez said. “I’m a student before I’m an athlete.”

According to his friends, Hector is a great leader because he is very encouraging and humble towards others. He is always willing to help other people and is always has a positive attitude, even in adversity.

“He motivates me to push myself in everything I do,” freshman Truman Garza said. “He always has a positive attitude.”