Band improves ranking at UIL competition

gleghorn photo

Band members warm up with director Jeff Villarreal before UIL competition last week.

21 Guns, All the Small Things, and Black Parade; these are just some of the songs that the marching band played in their UIL show Punk’s Not Dead. The band tried new things this year, some of which included marching in Converse high tops and playing songs from punk rock bands.

“This show really means alot to me,” drum major Diana Avila said. “I’ve grown up listening to these songs, and that’s one of the reasons I suggested the music to Mr.V.”

The marching band consists of high school students as well as the addition of students from the junior high. The junior high members make up about half of the band.

“I love working with the junior high kids; they are so much fun,” co-drum major Abby Smith said. “After the competition, it was great seeing how proud they were of themselves.”

The band ended up with a score of three on a scale of one to five.

“I’m really proud of how far we have come as a band,” senior Brittany Scott said. “We started off the year kind of weak and now we have people approaching us and giving us compliments on how much we have improved. Last year we got a four and so I think a lot of us were proud of our improvement.”

Some of the students thought that the line up was unfair towards the band.

“The line up seemed a bit unfair because we went between two bands that have consistently gone to state every year,” junior Zac White said. “But our show was great; I think we melted the faces off a bunch of people.”