UIL teams grabs first-place title, advances 12 to regionals

The+UIL+academic+students+show+off+their+medals+from+district+competition.+OAP+and+CX+points+are+included+in+the+district+totals.+

menefee photo

The UIL academic students show off their medals from district competition. OAP and CX points are included in the district totals.

The UIL Academic Team won their district competition for the second year in a row last Saturday. Buffalo scored a total of 371 points. Elkhart took second place with 322 points.

“I am proud of the dedication these students have put into preparing for UIL competition. Most of them have put in months of practice and studying, including giving up Saturdays to travel to practice competitions,” UIL Academic Coordinator Melonie Menefee said. “Their hard work paid off Saturday in the district contest, and hopefully will continue to help them as we move on to Regionals in April.”

A student must place in the top three to advance to Regionals. Those placing fourth in their event are alternates. Twelve BHS students are headed to Regionals, some in multiple events.

Those headed to Regionals are Kendall Morales, Jordan Jenkins, Sarah Burchfield, Erykah Anderson, Lilah Molina, Abby Smith, Kaci Allen, Evan Grisham, Dylan Magouirk, Sergio Vazquez, Randy Salazar, and Rudy Salazar. Alternates headed to Regionals are Kendall Lee and Katja Galle. Regionals are April 25 at Blinn College in Brenham.

The Journalism Team coached by Menefee garnered first place team.

In Editorial Writing, Kendall Morales grabbed 1st place. Jordan Jenkins took 4th place and Lilah Molina 6th place.

Jordan Jenkins captured 1st place in Feature Writing and Ally Gaskins took 6th place.

In Headlines, Sarah Burchfield grabbed 1st place and Miryam Zapata 5th place.

Jordan Jenkins received 1st place in News Writing. Kendall Morales followed with 2nd place and Sarah Burchfield 3rd place.

In Ready Writing, Erykah Anderson took 3rd place.

The Speech Team took second place overall. Speech coaches were Menefee and Jill Henson.

Abby Smith took 4th place in LD Debate.

In Prose, Kendall Lee received 4th place, Kendall Morales 5th place, and Jernon Hawley 6th place.

Erykah Anderson captured 1st place in Poetry. Lilah Molina took 4th place and Nadia Garcia 6th place.

In Persuasive Speaking, Lilah Molina grabbed 3rd place and Evan Grisham 5th place.

Abby Smith took 3rd in Informative Speaking and Katja Galle received 4th place.

The Accounting team coached by Alice Read took first place team. Sergio Vazquez placed 2nd, Randy Salazar 3rd, and Rudy Salazar 4th.

The Computer Science team took second place team. Dylan Magouirk received 3rd place and Evan Grisham 6th.

Sarah Burchfield took 4th place in Spelling.

In Current Events, Kaci Allen grabbed 3rd place and Evan Grisham 5th place.

Kendall Morales placed 4th in Literacy Criticism.

In Number Sense, Evan Grisham garnered 3rd place.

Diana Avila took 6th place in Social Studies.