Student Focus: Kayla Hutchins

menefee photo

Senior Kayla Hutchins checks in with cheer sponsor Cheryl Lack during Meet the Bison in August.

Staying busy is not a problem for senior Kayla Hutchins. She’s active in speech UIL, cheerleading, NHS, and theatre; on top of that, she is currently ranked second in her class. Her secret to staying on top? Get plenty of rest.

“Sleep,” Hutchins said about her top suggestion for busy students. “Sleep whenever you can.”

Kayla’s future plans are to attend A&M and become an RN. After gaining some experience in nursing, she hopes to open her own practice as a Nurse Practitioner. She feels that her time in high school has helped her get ready for the hard work she has ahead of her.

“I hope that I have set a good example for the younger students that look up to us,” Hutchins said. “I do the best I can at the things I do so that the generation that’s behind me can see what I do and want to do even better.”

Kayla says that one of her favorite (and most time-consuming) activities has been OAP, where she has won acting awards in the past. The group is working on their current play, The Children’s Hour.

“Knowing this is my last year is sad,” Hutchins said. “I’ve had a lot of fun with the activities I’m in and hope that in my last year here we make it to state in OAP”