Students tackle state fair

scott photo

Clay McGill, Jordan Bryson and Lane Solley take a break while spending the day at the state fair. The FFA and FCCLA members delivered canned goods for the food drive and took part in other fair activities for the groups.

Most students weren’t even out of bed yet when the FFA and FCCLA students and their advisors loaded up the bus to head to the state fair last week, carrying with them 964 pounds of canned goods to donate to the North Texas Food Bank located in Dallas. Working together, they were less than 100 pounds away from being the second place group to donate in the FFA category.

While at the State Fair, group members participated in the AgriQuest, which is an educational scavenger hunt covering farming, other agricultural information and consumer facts. Members were treated to a presentation of FFA, FCCLA and 4-H State officer teams and a concert featuring Kyle Park.

“I thought  the state fair was fantastic,” senior Randy Salazar said. “I got to meet a lot of new people; it was a great experience.”

The day was not as much fun for sophomore Gracie Ferguson, who passed out while at the main stage.

“It was too hot, and I started feeling really bad,” Ferguson said. “I didn’t drink enough water, and I really regret it.”

For most of the group, though, the day was a fun one, and for students who had never attended the state fair before, an entirely unique experience.

“I’m new to FCCLA, and it was a really cool experience,” junior David McAlpine said. “I really enjoyed seeing the officers and seeing how dedicated they are towards their activities.”

When students had free time, they explored the fair and carnival. The carnival games was an attraction for quite a few in the group.