FFA host Battle of the Gavel

Freshman James Rodell and junior Jacie Jones team up during a contest at the FFA Battle of the Gavel.

The Battle of the Gavel, an invention of this year’s FFA officers that they hope turns into a tradition for the group, had members spending the day with team-building exercise and fun contests to kick off their year. The students divided into two teams: The Beast of the East and The Best of the West.

“It is extremely cool to be part of the group my last year to start a new tradition,” senior Mayte Compean said. “I enjoyed spending this day hanging out with my friends playing games.”

Freshman James Rodell said he hopes the event continues.

“It was fun; there were a lot of activities,” Rodell said. “It was nice to talk to kids that I wouldn’t normally talk to. I enjoyed myself and definitely want to do this again next year.”

Despite the heat, the students had fun with the activities, and the ones who attended said they were glad to be a part of the event.

“My favorite activity was Finger Jousting, and let me tell everyone that egg shells are dangerous! I cut myself with one when we were doing the egg tossing contest,” Compean said. “It wasn’t anything serious, just funny. I’m glad I can look back years from now and say I was one of the founders of The Battle of the Gavel.”