Reindeer games

Students create seasonal jobs producing decorations
hobbs
The Life Skills students created and sold 20 reindeer decorations as a lesson on seasonal work and creating items for craft shows and farmers markets.

Students in Katie Hobbs’ Life Skills class have been busy creating Christmas reindeer that they sold to staff members as a lesson on a variety of job skills. Hobbs said the project allowed for plenty of learning opportunities.

Life Skills students work together to paint their reindeer decorations.

“Teaching the students about seasonal work for something to sell at a craft show or farmer’s market helps them learn about things like math and money, mass production, how to take orders, and how to work in an assembly line to make things uniform,” Hobbs said. “I am hopeful that we can come up with other season job ideas in the future to help them learn formal and informal ways of making money.”

Senior Diya Patel said she really enjoyed the project.

“Painting the reindeer reminds me of projects we do in theatre,” Diya, who is also in theatre tech, said. “My favorite part is doing the dots on their eyes. My hands get tired, though.”

The students delivered their reindeer to customers earlier this morning.

“The reindeer sold out fast, and I felt lucky to get one, librarian Melonie Menefee said. They are absolutely adorable, and mine is going to hang out in the library so that everybody who comes in can see what a great job the students did.”